Sunday, June 11, 2006

is there grace in james?

I just thought I would throw this question out there. Our reformation friend Martin L. would have said no. This is understandable coming from someone who came out of the works-based, Roman Catholic Church through the study of Paul's theology of justification in Romans. Luther firmly believed salvation was by faith alone. He believed the book of James was a straw epistle that should not be included in the canon, mainly because James says that faith without works is dead.

This question comes mostly from my personal study of James as Nate Mihelis and I have been teaching through the book in Sunday School at CBC. Although I am a firm believer that we hold the full canon in our sixty-six books of the Bible, I will have to admit that previously I did not have much appreciation for James because I did not see it as a gracious book.

My view of James has changed somewhat. The readers of this blog can tell me if this is a stretch or not. The book is undoubtedly a practical book describing perseverance in the life of the believer. But I have come to find it full of grace...what I mean is that I don't do these works to persevere, God accomplishes these works in me as I seek His grace in a right relationship with Him.

I find grace in James 1:5, "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him." This wisdom parallels the works that faith produces found in James 2:14-26. I find this grace further described when James says in 3:17, "The wisdom from above is first pure, then peacable, etc..." This is wisdom that must come from above. Sourced in myself, this wisdom/faith-produced works does not exist. But James further comments in a section of the book calling the reader to repentance, "but he gives more grace..." (4:6).

A song says:

Grace paid for my sins and brought me to life
Grace robes me with power to do what is right.

I desire for others to see the grace of God that produces perseverance as is taught by James.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts Rob. You inspire me to add a study of James on my to do lists of Bible Studies. Thanks for the insight.
Bekah

robertlhall said...

Thanks for the comments. hope all is well with everyone. James has been a great book to study. Sometimes I have been convicted right as I was teaching because I was giving personal examples of the wrong kind of wisdom. Praise God for His grace.

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it
» » »