Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Just another Valentine’s Day…or not


Well, I have to say that everyone counsels you not to have high expectations in marriage or you may be disappointed. I don’t think I have a huge problem in this area, but on Valentine’s Day I have to admit, that no matter how hard I try, there are a few things that I would like to happen. This being the case, I thought it was a little strange that when February 14th rolled around, Rob handed me a card and made some comment about how he hoped I wasn’t disappointed that he didn’t do anything else….hmmmmm. What do I say to that? “Oh, it’s no big deal.” Or, “that’s fine” – the typical girl phrase.

Well, I got to work and after an hour or so, my student came in and told me I had a package in the office. Of course, I rushed out and found a gorgeous arrangement of tulips with a note telling me where to meet Rob for dinner after work – a great restaurant in Old Town Portsmouth we have been wanting to try out. I showed up to find him in a little corner of the restaurant beaming because his surprise had been a success.

Of course, he would still be a wonderful husband without doing these things, but it’s very meaningful when he plans ahead and continues to show me that I am special to him. Sorry if it sounds like I’m bragging – I don’t do that often on this blog, so once in a while I hope that’s ok.
If anyone else wants to brag on their man, feel free - or just make a nice comment about mine!

16 comments:

robertlhall said...

Thanks Jule

everyone notice that I got her tulips...one of my favorite flowers!!

T. Baylor said...

Julie,

Since I don't have a man, I guess I will have to make a comment about Rob -- He's gay.

T. Baylor said...

That being said, nice work Rob-Roy.

T.J. and Shannon said...

That was very sweet! What a nice surprise!

smlogan said...

good work on loving your wife,
but calvin would never approve of your theology...

cranny + b said...

I bet those tulips were irresistible and given unconditionally. Good one Robby. But I guess I thought you would have been more of a daisy man myself.

Anonymous said...

Good job, Rob. Good style.
Julie, I told you that you were getting the best.

JA

jeileenbaylor said...

Julie - I am JUST like you when it comes to expectations... I always imagine something HUGE will happen, and if it doesn't i'm devastated...so silly, I'll admit it. I actually should blog on v-day our story...let's just say, I ended up eating tacos on the kitchen floor all by myslef :O()hee hee-- it's a funny story.

Anyways, Rob... good job :o)

robertlhall said...

I'll have to keep that "tacos on the kitchen floor" idea in my mind for next year. Good one Tim

robertlhall said...

oh, and Scott, you know me. I don't seek the approval of men...

jess said...

I love tulips, good choice! I always have huge expectations too Julie... what girl doesn't I suppose. Glad you guys had a great time together.

PS - beads are on sale this week @ Michaels!!

cranny + b said...

hey Julie! Thanks again for letting me and Cal stay with you all! I'm glad you had a great Valentine's Day--it was fun to hear about it! See ya;)
Sarah

smlogan said...

daisies perhaps...
but baylor always says that
rob most reminds him of a pansy!
(i quite agree).

Heavenbound Kim said...

Oh, Julie... I'm so happy for you ~ I keep a pic of you and Rob on display! Kim:D ~wink~ oX

http://teatimewithkim.blogspot.com/

Katrina said...

Hey Julie!

That was a great story. Rob gets a 100% on his V-Day gift! (sorry, teacher thing). Anyway . . . My man and I were at the counseling conference when V-Day approached. We ended up at Golden Corral, but it was nice since we were finally ALONE and away from all the crowds at the conference!

Katrina said...

Oh, then when we got back to VB, we went out for Sunday brunch at the Swan Terrace. Little pricey, but worth it for what you get!