Saturday, July 14, 2007

Father, let me burn with passion for Christ!!





"You wonder why people choose fields away from the States when young people at home are drifting because no one wants to take time to listen to their problems. Ill tell you why I left. Because those Stateside young people have every opportunity to study, hear, and understand the Word of God in their own language, and these Indians have no opportunity whatsoever. I have had to make a cross of two logs, and lie down on it, to show the Indians what it means to crucify a man. When there is that much ignorance over here and so much knowledge and opportunity over there, I have no question in my mind why God sent me here. Those whimpering Stateside young people will wake up on the Day of Judgment condemned to worse fates than these demon-fearing Indians, because, having a Bible, they were bored with it---while these never heard of such a thing as writing." - Jim Elliot
Kind of makes some of the things American Christians bicker about look really dumb. I pray that in all my endeavors I would pursue the supremecy of Christ, keeping the gospel at the core and letting the superficial things fall by the wayside.

7 comments:

Tracy said...

Wow -- that really puts things into perspective. I know I need a greater passion for reaching the lost.
We'll be praying for you as you leave for St. Vincent.

Katie Barker said...

I have to agree with Tracy. "Wow" Elliot can say it with such passion.

Chad said...

Rob, thanks for the reminder of all we take for granite.

Ross Shannon said...

Excellent quote. I had the opportunity to visit JD Crowley this summer. Same situation Elliot faced. And when JD teaches those striving to learn to read and thus learn of God, it doesn't have to be a pep talk about why it should be important to them. There is a thirst in them I rarely see here in churches - and also here ... in me. What a rebuke! Keep posting - I wander the blogs every couple weeks for jewels like Elliot and posts like yours.

robertlhall said...

Ross,
good to hear from you. That is sweet about JD Crowley. What are you up to? Still planning on Central Minn?

RJTL said...

Rob, what in the world are you doing? Still an indy fundy? How's life. This is probably the wrong format for that but it was good to see your blog.

Eilers

I-61 Project Team said...

Thanks for sharing your faith with those who would otherwise never hear the Good News.. I will still pray for God to open the hearts of the young people stateside. They're dying here spiritually because we have watered down the gospel here so that people aren't offended instead of sharing the truth and letting the Holy Spirit of God make dead men live by the preaching of the whole word. The Western Church has lead these young people into a culture of moral relativism were they can pick their choice of Gods... God bless your mission abroad!