Tuesday, May 18, 2010

If you never have, I recommend...


The Chronological Bible. Rob and I have enjoyed this so much over the last few months. We originally started last year reading through the Bible chronologically by using a website. This worked fine, but it was kind of a pain keeping track sometimes and flipping all over the place. We ended up picking up this copy a few months ago and it has made it a ton easier. I have really enjoyed reading the Bible this way for a change because it puts so many things together in my mind - I just feel like I have made so many connections that I haven't before. Rob and I have talked a lot lately about how important it is to see the whole story of scripture. How all of it points to Christ from beginning to end. Reading it chronologically really helps put the story together. We normally use ESV, but Rob picked this one up in NLT, which also helps give you a smooth read. It's important to take time for slow study as well, but I think it has been great to take this time to just read scripture in one constant, "forward" motion. And as a mom - it makes it nice too, because whenever I sit down - whatever situation or time I have - I know exactly where I am and what's going on. I totally recommend it!

4 comments:

Katie said...

A friend that works at Crossway just gave me an ESV One Year Bible, and I LOVE it!! You're right about it being esp useful for a busy mom. And there's just something about my personality that loves the set up. :)

Reads said...

Lord willing I will finish reading through the Bible chronologically the end of this month (I am doing it through youversion.com in 99 days. . .) Anyway, I have gotten a whole new perspective doing the Chronological method. I have used the Holman Version, which I think also has a smooth read to it! Enjoy!

Katie Barker said...

Thanks for the recommendation!

sara said...

Hmmm, thanks for this recommend. I have wanted to read the Bible chronologically, but have not yet worked it out- so this Bible would be perfect for us.