Wednesday, September 13, 2006

resourceful help

For any of my friends who are willing to contribute:

I am doing research on early church pneumatology in light of modern cessationism/continuationism controversies for a seminary class I am taking on early church history. This has been a topic I have wanted to research for several years now, and I now have a good excuse to do so. I would be open to suggestions as to books, journal articles, and magazines that would shed light on how either side would use church fathers to support their view.

Warfield, Lloyd-Jones, Grudem, Fee, and Williams are on my list of writers to explore. To be honest, at this point in my research I am not running across any continuationists that address church fathers or issues of a closed canon early in church history. I know there must be some, but I need help finding them so that the paper is well rounded and not ignorant.

I welcome any suggestions that would help my research to be the most informed it can be. I do not want to neglect any writers coming from either side.

8 comments:

T. Baylor said...

You might want to look into Oden. He might have something on the issue. He is a continuationist who writes on Church History.

Garrett said...

I don't know where he comes down, but I know Dunn has done a good bit of work on the Spirit. He probably deserves a nod.

T. Baylor said...

Rob,

Perhaps you ought to narrow your prospect to historical interpretations surrounding 1 Cor. 14. This would allow you to draw from various commentaries, and wrestle with the exegetical issues present in the text.

robertlhall said...

Baylor, can you comment on a specific title of Oden's that would be helpful?

T. Baylor said...

I can't . . . I know he wrote a systematic. But I am not sure beyond this. Did you check Regent's ATLA yet?

robertlhall said...

Have not yet checked regents ATLA. I was using the one at Central, and without fail, not a single one of the journals I wanted was in our library. I would need the 1982 volume, and we would have 79, 80, 83, 84, etc. Professor Lehner tells me that Dr. Windsor will order them if we ask though.

Unknown said...

Okay, wait a minute here...fellow Northlandite confussed here. The picture of Julie looks A LOT like my old roomie...Julie Coats??? Is it really you?? Please let me know...I would be ever so joyed to come across a blog with her attached:) not to mention reconnect and catch up:)
~Dana

Anonymous said...

Rob,

If Central's library has OCLC connections, you can get everyone of the articles you are seeking from just about anywhere in the U.S. (or world, if you are willing to shell out some extra $$$). This comment may show up as anonymous, but it is your big bro.

JA