Saturday, March 13, 2010

#5

Perelandra by C.S. Lewis...#5


Although I won’t say that this is my new favorite book, I really did enjoy the read and was very impressed once again with Lewis’ ability to write and think on a very deep level. Perelandra is the second book in his space trilogy. This series is science fiction and talks about Ransom (the main character) visiting planets in outer space. I’m not much of a science fiction person myself. I will sit through a science fiction movie with someone if they really want to watch it, but it definitely wouldn’t be my pick. These books can be a little confusing at times because he is explaining such strange things...you can imagine some of the strange things you have seen in science fiction movies, now consider just reading about them in a book. Sometimes I was a little stumped. However, I think the most incredible thing is that Lewis uses Perelandra as a sort of analogy to the events in the Garden of Eden between the Serpent and Eve. He weaves the tale around a lone woman that he meets in Perelandra. They have many interesting conversations, but when they are joined by a man possessed by the devil it becomes a battle. Ransom trying to help the woman make the right decision and the devil working to trick the woman into making the wrong decision. The conversations are deep and I couldn’t help imagining Lewis in my mind sitting with the Inklings and discussing the topics he does in Perelandra. I don’t want to tell you how it ends....what the lady decides, but I will say it was a new way for me to look at our redemption, and I enjoyed that.


No comments: