Monday, August 08, 2011

Saying Goodbye

People are often surprised to hear that while I am from Wisconsin, both my sister and brother and their families ended up living here in Virginia with us. Of course, this was not necessarily a strange coincidence as we all decided on the same seminary. But it is still pretty funny to think about sometimes. I often get asked "When are your parents moving here?".

While I never expected all of us to live so close to each other over the past few years, I have enjoyed the experience so much. We have regularly held "family dinners" which besides great food have held a lot of interesting conversations and much laughter. I also feel like we have enjoyed so many great things about this area together...the beach, DC, Outer Banks, Williamsburg, Busch Gardens...to name a few.

One thing I never imagined though is that my sister and I would deliver our first babies within two weeks of each other and experience becoming moms together. I cannot really say what that has meant to me. It was sweet to share the joys and struggles of the last two years with our sweet girls. Cade and Brynne are best friends. They certainly know how to get on each other's nerves and get each other in trouble, but they also get each other giggling faster than anyone else can. I was also able to hold my nephew Bryce on the day he was born, and see him grow to be 10 months old.

About a month ago my sister's husband was asked to be youth pastor in a church in South Carolina. While I could not be happier for this opportunity for them, I am having a hard time imagining them being seven hours away instead of five minutes. I guess we always knew this day would come eventually, I just tried not to think about what it would be like. I know most people live a great distance from family, and now it is our turn to experience a little of that. I have to be honest and say that I am pretty sad about it today.
I want to thank God for not only giving us the years here together, but giving me a family I love and enjoy. I know these are amazing gifts. I hope to focus on His goodness over the next few weeks and not just my feelings (although I'm sure being seven weeks from delivering a baby does not help with emotions! :) Thank you Jennie for being such a wonderful sister!

Praise God for the sweetness of His never-ending presence in an always changing world.

4 comments:

Katie said...

I feel your sadness! It is hard living far from family, esp when you're used to being nearby. Seven hours is still driveable? :)

I'm struggling w similar feelings lately, as we have a big move coming up. Llike you said, though, i try to remind myself to be thankful for such an awesome family that I love and enjoy.

Jen and Jewels said...

Thanks Jul, I barely started reading and started to cry. I am so thankful that a long time ago the three of us decided to take advantage of the short time that we were in close in proximity to each other. Two things are sweet to me at this moment...one-that we can look back on these three short years in VA Beach with thankfulness to God, great memories with each other, and hard preparation for what God had for each of us in the future. Two-That whether we are in Simpsonville, SC, Washington state, or in an Arab country across the world, we are serving and loving Jesus, and that is more precious to me that anything. Love you. Jen

JordanandSue said...

*sigh* Sisters, sisters. What a beautiful bond, right? So thankful you guys have had these years together- they are priceless!!

jeileenbaylor said...

Aww- I totally get it. I miss my twin sister so much. I teared up while I read this. Glad you were able to enjoy those special years together.