Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Wishing you were here...


Have you ever had the experience of missing someone you never met? It might sound odd. But ever since I met Rob and began to fall in love with him, there is someone I miss. That person is his dad. Tomorrow as we celebrate a sweet holiday, we will also be remembering his dad who went to be with Jesus ten years ago. Even though I named this post "wishing you were here", in a sense I don't. He has been enjoying something for ten years that I can only imagine.

I think one of the reasons I look forward to meeting Rob's dad, Andy, is that I have experienced him through his wife and three boys in a very special way. I have heard wonderful stories from my mother-in-law. I have watched JA and Phil interacting with their family and those around them. I have experienced the most incredible love and care from Rob as my husband. I have watched Rob raise our daughter for almost 17 months. I know these actions are not just taught, but learned through experience. I have been thinking lately about the way children imitate their parents. It is so natural. Kids just want to be like the people they spend so much time with. I can tell that Andy was a very special person because of the legacy he has left in his boys.

So, as I think of thankfulness, a great part of my thankfulness this year is for a man I never knew. A man whose life has touched mine in a way he will never know until I meet him in heaven. Ultimately, I thank God for His sovereignty in the circumstances of our lives. He is always weaving together the most beautiful story. I'm so thankful that I have the opportunity to be a part of that story.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post, Julie. I look forward to meeting him too, as his fathering instilled in (at least one of) his sons a character that has made him a highly valued friend. I wonder if he liked fountains? Hmmm.... I hope yesterday was a great day to remember as well as an opportunity to thank Christ for the promise of the resurrection. Jordan

Melody said...

What a sweet post, Julie. I feel so many similar emotions concerning Chad's dad being gone - especially now having kids. Although I was able to know his dad for a few short years, I miss him so much ... I would have loved seeing him spoil my girls.

JordanandSue said...

Beautiful post, Julie. (I'm ignoring the fountain comment above ;)