Thursday, August 19, 2010

Learning my lesson


Sometimes it feels like God is trying to bonk me on the head with something, and it just takes a while to get it. Okay, maybe that happens more often than I would like to think. I realized today that the latest "bonk" was to remind me that the stuff we acquire in life is just that - stuff. It doesn't make us happy, it can't bring eternal satisfaction, we don't always need more...bigger...better, we can't take it with us. I know this should be obvious, but as I walked around the house yesterday beginning to de-clutter and consider packing all our worldly possessions I had a few moments of sadness (I think maybe I was a little emotional anyways - you know how girls can be sometimes). Rob and I have officially decided to get our house on the market. We are pursuing church planting in Tacoma WA alongside a ministry called Soma Communities. We are still totally willing for God to close the door if He so chooses, but for now - we are continuing to take steps this direction. I'm so excited about this move and yet am feeling so overwhelmed with all that needs to be done! Anyways, back to my sadness - I guess even though we bought our house realizing we would be moving out again in a few years, I guess I still got kind of attached. It is the first house we lived in together, we did a ton of work on it together, we found a ton of cute little flea market, yard sale, thrift store items to make it feel homey, we have laughed and played and cried and dreamed here together, we brought our sweet baby home here for the first time...obviously I could go on. I'm almost crying right now as I write this! It makes me pretty sad to think about closing the door for the last time and saying goodbye.

Even as I write this I realize that this is so temporal - so fleeting. Life is so much more than a building or the things we put in it. I have been reading 1 Peter and God is reminding me that I am a sojourner - so appropriate! I just read a blog post from someone else talking about all the things we like to accumulate in life. Even our realtor was talking about not letting possessions control you. Okay God - I think I'm getting it. Please help me to continually be excited and passionate to be wherever you want and gladly leave behind all that I truly do not need. Well - I think it will still take some time - but God is patient, and I'm so thankful.

4 comments:

JordanandSue said...

Sad to read that- we don't even like to think of the day you move on :( Great lesson to be learned, though- one I KNOW I will struggle with as well... We're praying for you & love you lots!

Laura D said...

This is something I've been thinking/praying a lot about too. It's so easy to get attatched to stuff and feel the need for more stuff. Thanks for sharing.

So excited to hear about plans for the future. However, it will be sad to see you guys go. (Even though I already don't get to see you as muchas I used to, at least I get to see you sometimes now.) Will be praying the Lord continues to lead and direct you according to His will.

Reads said...

So true!!! We moved just closer to church two years ago and I remember those same feelings!! Crazy now to think we have been in this house almost as long. Something about the first house. . . and the precious thought of bringing those little babies home from the hospital. . . sweet memories. Excited to see how God is going to use you guys!! A great time for God to grow you; although that does hurt at times!

AnneB said...

julie, my heart resonates so dearly with this post! Continue steadfastly to embrace the gospel as you pack and move! I'll be praying for you as the Spirit "works me over" on these same issues :)